Saturday, November 20, 2010

Crying Is Good For You

There are things that people say are good for you, even when they really don’t seem like it. This advice is particularly hard to take, because it seems stupid, and sometimes it’s painful to do.

One of these things is crying. Crying can be really, really good.

Tears are your friends!!

There isn’t actually anything wrong with my life; my life is awesome. It’s just that I haven’t been sleeping enough, I’ve been in constant pain, I have finals, Harry Potter was super upsetting, I miss my family, and I don’t have food. This sort of upset is even worse than upset over something real, because it feels stupid and there’s no outlet for it.

Roughly speaking, this is my work load.

I’ve been tearing up on and off since HP last night, and I’ve actually cried a few times, but not, like, all-out bawling. I was trying not to, in fact, because I hate crying and I don’t like to think it helps.

I stick my tongue out at advice.

Then I decided to catch up on Grey’s Anatomy. Within maybe ten minutes, two brothers came in who had just been in a car accident, and the younger one dies. The second I realized he was going to die, I flashed to Fred and George at the end of the last HP book and I just lost it. I sobbed. Loudly. Enough that my roommate came over, climbed up onto my bed (it’s lofted), and sat with me. It was one of the best cries I’ve ever had, and I felt so much better after.

Lots of tears.

The moral of the story: when people tell you crying makes you feel better, it really does. I promise.



Plus, chocolate ice cream helps a lot. So do little stuffed snowy owls that may or may not already have chocolate stains, even though you got her yesterday.


This is Hedwig.

p.s. Picture quality is low today because I’m in Somerset rather than my room and thusly photographs are taken with my cell phone and any drawings need to be photographed with said cell phone and emailed to myself.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure the real Hedwig had chocolate stains too, given Hogwart's propensity to dispense chocolate.

    I love you. I will see you soon and good food will abound. Well, as good as you can get on the road...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience today also. Crying can relieve stress!

    ReplyDelete