Saturday, November 13, 2010

I Am A Trend Setter

There is a room in the campus center at my college I like to study in. It is called Somerset and it is beautiful. It's very big and has really tall ceilings and there's a whole wall of just windows looking out over the river. Along this wall of windows are tables and chairs and Outlets.

The wall of windows. If you look closely, you can see the outlets.
There are also groups of comfy couches and chairs with coffee table-type tables and end tables and such. I like to sit on these, because they are comfy. But! There are no outlets anywhere near this comfiness. In order to plug in my computer, which has a pathetically short battery life and cannot be used without being plugged in, I need to bring my extension cord, my roommate's extension cord, and sit in a particular spot on a particular couch. It is not super fun.


No matter how closely you look, you cannot see any outlets.

I devised a Plan to fix this. I moved one of the couches from where it was supposed to be to against the wall, next to an outlet. This was the perfect solution--I am comfy, on a couch, in a corner (I like corners) and next to an outlet. I had some idea that this was okay because someone had already moved a comfy chair next to an outlet. This is what my couch looks like:

Comfy couch, end table and outlet. The perfect place to study!!

I wasn't sure if the couch would stay there or not. I had disrupted the little group of furniture it was in, plus even though there was some precedent for this, I wans't sure how allowed it was. But the next day it was still there, and the next, and the next. It started to become popular, and sometimes when I'd come in to study, somebody would be sitting there already! I found this more upsetting than I should, because I like my Spots, and I get upset if someone takes them, no matter how accidental. But I acted like a grownup, and merely sat on the chair next to the outlet.

A few days later, I walked into Somerset, and I was greeted by with this:


My couch made friends! Somebody had moved two chairs over, plus a coffee table. This was a welcome addition; now I had somewhere to rest my feet! I felt somewhat proud, like I had started something wonderful. Little did I know. Over the next few days, the following pieces of furniture have migrated to the walls, near outlets:

This is right next to my couch, in the actual corner, rather than just  next to it.

A third chair was added to my couch.

The chair on the right is the original Wall Chair. First the other chair was added, and then today a couch appear. This is where I'm sitting now, because someone is in My Couch.


I once moved a couch here, but got evicted by people stealing furniture from Somerset to bring it next door, into the Pusey room. It has remained there.

It was the addition of the second couch that made me realize that I am a Trend Setter. I, a lowly freshman, have influenced the way people use this room. When I walked into Somerset and saw the second couch, a sense of pride washed over me. I had made a difference, even if it was something as insignificant as the layout of the furniture.

There is, however, a downside to this trend. Remember that first picture, of how the room is supposed to look? This is what's starting to happen, now that the furniture is migrating:

Pictured: emptiness.

The center of the room is starting to empty. It renders my corner not as corner-y because suddenly it opens up onto the whole room, rather than having more furniture right in front of it. It also makes me think that someone Official is going to walk in, be like, "What the hell?", and move the furniture back where it's supposed to be. This would be very upsetting, and result in the immediate return of My Couch to the corner where is so rightly belongs.

5 comments:

  1. I love it! Life imitates interior decorating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like the great couch migration. They should make a nature documentary for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cleaning people are moving all the furniture back into the middle of the room at 4:00 in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nicole...

    I am loving this blog. It's a super way for me to not study for finals, especially since facebook will no longer load on my computer. You should do a post about shoddy LU internet.

    I am commenting on this particular post because I believe that you would never have become a furniture trend setter if I hadn't shown you the Somerset Room in the first place. :) Just thought you might like to amend your story. Haha, keep these posts coming!

    -Other Emily

    ReplyDelete