Friday, November 19, 2010

The Harry Potter Post

Okay, folks. This is it. The Harry Potter post. There will be no spoilers, because I’m sure some of you haven’t seen it yet and I don’t want to ruin anything. But oh dear god.

<= That was all I got written last night because I was too upset to make words on a keyboard. I also had every intention of doing the drawings for this post, but this was all I came up with:

Keep in mind it was about three-thirty in the morning and I was emotionally devastated.

I had been having conniptions about how to write this post because last night was one of the most emotional nights of my life, and I have no idea how to convey how it felt on paper, in words. This is how it looks on paper not in words:

Kapow!

But, after using the power of Logic, I’ve decided to tell the story in order, from the beginning.

I drove to the theater with Emily and Maire, and all three of us were dressed up. I was Tonks, Emily was Cho Chang and Maire was Fleur Delacour. Here are some pictures of what we looked like:

Nymphadora Tonks.

Cho Chang.

Fleur Delacour.

We got there at quarter of eight and, after a wait of about five minutes until someone noticed us coloring on the floor, were told we could go straight into the theater.

Maire coloring on the floor.

There were two other people there, and they were super nice. We sat two rows behind them and talked for, like, the first hour.

Pictured: emptiness.

Settling in for the night.

Friends!!!

We made nametags for ourselves.





Slowly but surely, Emily and I started reading our copies of the seventh book, which we brought with us. Maire was on the phone with a friend, I believe, outside the theater.

Book!!!

I ended up reading about a hundred pages before the movie started. At some point, our friends Sophie and Madeline arrived, but they were in the other theater, so we didn’t see them until after the movie ended. Maire hung out with them until she got kicked out and told she had to be in her own theater, at which point she joined us and we played MASH. A lot of MASH. I was going to upload pictures of MASH, but after looking at them, I realized they have Incriminating Names of Potential Husbands on them, so you’re just going to have to use your imagination.

I had brought my pencil case and blank paper so I could entertain myself by drawing. This didn’t happen because I was freaking out too much, but Emily and Maire did some drawings/calming down exercises.

Every character we could think of.

Doodles, tic-tac-toe and time count.

All Gryffindors.

Me and Shannon, as drawn by Maire.

Keep in mind, we were in the theater for over five hours before the movie started. These are our ten-minutes-before-the-movie-started faces:


I was too excited to hold the camera still, plus this is how my insides felt.


This is Emily’s face when the lights turned off:



That is the last photograph I took. I spent the first twenty minutes of the movie in tears, and had to excuse myself to go to the bathroom and calm down, otherwise there was no way I would’ve gotten myself under control. Control being used pretty loosely in this case; I was in on and off hysterics during the whole movie, as was Emily. These are the drawings I wanted to do last night but wasn’t coherent enough of how I looked while watching the movie:





Note that I was literally clutching my seventh book the whole movie. I could not put it down.

The ride home was intense, especially getting out of the theater. People kept running out in front of my car and trying to back into me, and this was in the pitch-black of two-thirty in the morning when I was an emotional wreck and also kind of tired, though not mostly.

Once home, Emily and I dropped our stuff off, acquired our computers and stayed up all night in the basement lounge trying to make sense of ourselves. I went to bed at quarter past five, but I don’t think I fell asleep until six or so. I forced myself to wake up at noon so I wouldn’t become completely nocturnal, and also because I kept having terrifying dreams where I had to save my parents from some unknown force, only everybody kept dividing into seven of themselves and it was really upsetting, though eventually I used Magic to save the day, and also Bill Clinton came and made everything better. People who were on my side included the Weasley twins and Miranda Bailey from Grey's Anatomy and one of my professors, and bad guys included Frederick Chilton from The Silence of the Lambs. No, I have no idea, either.

At any rate, this is a picture of how I feel this morning/afternoon:

Pictured: utter exhaustion.

p.s. I know there are a lot of people out there that Harry Potter doesn’t mean this much to. That’s okay, I’m not judging anyone. But this is not the time to comment and be all, “HURR HARRY POTTER SUX”. I respect your opinion and don’t think any less of you for it, but in the same way that I wouldn’t diss your favorite thing the day after you stayed up all night going to the midnight premiere of whatever it is, please don’t diss mine. Thank you!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I feel like you must've gotten there unnecessarily early. The giant SVS group of like 28+ people got there at 10:30pm the earliest 11:30pm the latest. And we managed to get 28 seats all next to each other(The extra people had to sit in random places all alone :( ) and this was in AMC 16, the biggest theater outside inner Boston.

    But yeah, Movie = amazing! I can't believe we have 8 1/2 months until part 2 D:!!!

    ReplyDelete